- Nineteenth- and twentieth-century French literature
- Gender and sexuality studies
- Québec and francophone literatures
- Literary theory, translation studies
- Marcel Proust
My book Victims of the Book: Reading and Masculinity in Fin-de-Siècle France (forthcoming from University of Toronto Press) shows how, in a cultural context of perceived national decline and contentious educational reforms, the adolescent male reader became a subject of grave social concern in fin-de-siècle France. This project was awarded a research fellowship from the National Endowment for the Humanities.
I am a member of the Proust research team (Équipe Proust) at ITEM, the Institute for Modern Texts and Manuscripts, Paris (Institut des textes et manuscrits modernes, CNRS/ENS).
I am Associate Editor of Corr-Proust, the new digital edition of Marcel Proust's correspondence, an international collaborative project bringing together the University of Ilinois, ITEM, and the Université Grenoble Alpes.
- PhD, Harvard University
- BA, McGill University (First-Class Honours)
- French 211: Introduction to Literary Studies
- French 311: Love Stories
- French 322: World Literature in French
- French 336: French Cultural History 1789-1968
- French 443: Quebec Literature and Film
- French 574: Reading in the 19th-Century French Novel
- French 578: Marcel Proust
- French 579: French Literature meets Queer Theory
Additional Campus Affiliations
Center for Translation Studies (Affiliate)
Proust and the Arts (Cambridge University Press, 2015; paperback, 2018) brings together expert Proustians and renowned interdisciplinary scholars in a major reconsideration of the novelist's relation to the arts.
Proulx, François. "Proust's Drawings and the Secret of the "Solitary House"". MLN - Modern Language Notes. 2018, 133(4). 865-890. https://doi.org/10.1353/mln.2018.0058
Proulx, Francois. "Une lettre à Léon Bailby". Bulletin d’informations proustiennes. 2018, (48). 15-23.
Proulx, Francois. "Deux lettres à René Peter". Bulletin d’informations proustiennes. 2017, (47). 37-45.
Proulx, Francois. "P/Reparation: Barthes and Sedgwick". Romance Studies. 2016, 34(3-4). 174-184. https://doi.org/10.1080/02639904.2017.1307640
McDonald, Christie and Francois Proulx "Introduction". and McDonald, Christie Proulx, François (ed.). Proust and the Arts. Cambridge University Press. 2015, 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1017/CBO9781316216408.001