Julia Gorham is a Ph.D. candidate in French SLATE. She earned her MA in French Linguistics and Second Language Acquisition and Teaching from the University of Arizona in 2020 and double BAs in French/Francophone Studies and Chemistry from the University of South Dakota in 2018. Her research interests lie in the field of applied linguistics and applied second language acquisition and include language program evaluation, curriculum development, second language pedagogy, teacher education, multiliteracies and critical literacies pedagogy, intercultural and symbolic competence, proficiency assessment, and study abroad. Her dissertation is a mixed-methods program evaluation focusing on the attitudes, perspectives, and experiences of L2 French students and instructors towards the implementation of critical literacies and social justice pedagogy in the classroom.
- Language Program Evaluation
- Second Language Pedagogy
- Curriculum & Course Development
- Multiliteracies and Critical Literacies Pedagogy
- Teacher Education
- Intercultural Competence & Symbolic Competence
- Proficiency Assessment
- Study Abroad
- PhD - French / Second Language Acquisition and Teacher Education, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (in progress, ABD)
- M.A. - French Linguistics and Second Language Learning, University of Arizona, 2020
- B.A. - French & Francophone Studies, University of South Dakota, 2018
- B.S. - Chemistry, University of South Dakota, 2018
Awards and Honors
- 2023. K.A. Looney Junior Award for Excellence in Teaching French. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Department of French and Italian.
- 2021-2023. List of Instructors Rated as Excellence by their Students. University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, Center for Innovation in Teaching and Learning.
- 2019. Arizona in Paris Teaching Award, University of Arizona, Department of French and Italian.
- FR 101 - Introductory French I
- FR 103 - Intermediate French I
- FR 207 - Grammar & Composition
Other Teaching Experience:
- University French 1, 2, 3, & 4
- University Accelerated Intermediate French
- Upper-level French Composition & Grammar
- Upper-level French Conversation & Pronunciation
- Middle School French 1
- High School French 1 & 2
- High School Latin 1 & 2
Selected Conference Presentations:
- Gorham, J. A. (2022). Multimodal composing in L2 French: Disrupting the sociocultural commonplace. ACTFL Annual Meeting. Boston, MA.
- Gorham, J. A. (2022). Moving towards transformative second language pedagogy: Language program directors’ perceived advantages and obstacles. 18th International Congress of Qualitative Inquiry. Urbana, IL.
- Gorham, J. A., & Amgott, N. (2022). Embodying intercultural competence in L2 French video reflections. 8th International Conference on the Development and Assessment of Intercultural Competence. Online.
- Amgott, N., & Gorham, J. A. (2021). Embodying Language Learning: L2 French Rehearsal, Repair, and Community. Annual Meeting of the American Educational Research Association, Online.
- Gorham, J. A. (2020). Decolonizing intermediate French: A multimodal critical literacies perspective to questioning colonization, racism, and prejudice. Diversity, Decolonization, and the French Curriculum Conference, Online.
- Gorham, J. A. (2020). Evaluating critical literacies and symbolic competence in L2 multimodal compositions. L2 Digital Literacies Symposium, Online.
- Gorham, J. A. (2020). Developing L2 intercultural competence through a film-based pedagogical sequence. 7th International Conference on the Development and Assessment of Intercultural Competence. Tucson, AZ.
- Gorham, J. A. (2019). A multiliteracies-based curriculum project for the development of symbolic competence in L2 French students. 13th Annual Arizona Linguistics Circle Conference. Tucson, AZ.
- Gorham, J. A. (2019). Developing symbolic competence in introductory level French classes through authentic Francophone literature. Second Language Acquisition and Teaching Interdisciplinary Roundtable, Tucson, AZ. [Roundtable]
Amgott, N., & Gorham, J. A. (2023). Embodied modes in L2 French video reflections: Supporting metalinguistic awareness, organization, and community. Foreign Language Annals, 56(2), 501-523. https://doi.org/10.1111/flan.12666
Gorham, J. A. & Knisely, K. A. (2019). Systems in need of activism: Considering the effects of segregation and policy on French and U.S. primary and secondary education. Journal of the Midwest Modern Language Association, 51(2), 183-222. https://www.jstor.org/stable/45151160