Arabic and Arab Diaspora literatures, Arabic intellectual history, comparative literature, transnational studies, postcolonial and translation theory.
Ph.D. Comparative Literature, UIUC (1998)
Awards and Honors
- University Scholar, 2016-2019
- President, American Comparative Literature Association
- American Council for Learned Societies fellowship, 2017
Additional Campus Affiliations
Program in Comparative & World Literature
Department of English
Department of Spanish & Portuguese
Center for African Studies
European Union Center
Center for Global Studies
Center for Latin American and Caribbean Studies
Center for South Asian and Middle Eastern Studies
Center for Translation Studies
Lemann Institute for Brazilian Studies
Unit for Criticism and Interpretive Theory
- Editor, The Oxford Handbook of Arab Novelistic Traditions. Oxford University Press, 2017.
- Translator (Portuguese to Arabic), Lughz al-Qaf, by Alberto Mussa. Cairo: National Center for Translation, 2015.
- Co-Editor, Approaches to Teaching the Works of Naguib Mahfouz. MLA Publications, 2012.
- Author, Immigrant Narratives: Orientalism and Cultural Translation in Arab American and Arab British Literature. Oxford University Press, 2011.
- Translator (Arabic to English), Thou Shalt Nor Speak My Language, by Abdelfattah Kilito. Syracuse University Press, 2008.
- Author, Tayeb Salih: Ideology and the Craft of Fiction. Syracuse University Press, 2003.